Monday, August 16, 2010

Stranger Danger

I've yet to have that talk with the girls.... the one about strangers. They are with me 98% of the time, and until now I haven't felt I could discuss it with them in a way they would understand without scaring the bejesus out of them. Tonight we had the talk.

I chose to address Abby alone. She was wrapping up her evening bath routine, and Lauren was sitting all ears in the tub. I started right in defining what a stranger is, listing instances when a stranger might approach her. Then in as few words as possible, I told her to yell out, "Stop! Don't touch me! I don't know you," if someone she doesn't know tries to take her away with them.

And then I reinforced, "It is not okay to take candy from a stranger, or ice cream."

Abby jumped in with her serious eyes and her side-to-side head shake, "Or a towel if they try to give you one."

Should a stranger try and offer her a Disney princess towel, be warned, she will not be tempted. I'm hoping that is because she's learned about the possible danger of a stranger, and not because she already has that towel.

No comments:

{Followers}

{Blog Archive}

{About Me}

My photo
Fairborn, Ohio, United States
I'm a teacher by trade, writer at heart & mom in every sense of my being. I never considered writing as a profession, but after I got married and began moving around the country, I began sharing my adventures, misadventures & updates through a sort of e-mail newsletter. I found a true passion in unconventional story-telling that has followed me into motherhood.