Saturday, July 10, 2010

Conception, Bert, and Ernie

As is true for most of our deep talks, this morning's great inquiry came during beauty time. While I worked diligently to put her hair in perfect school-girl pig tails, Abby decided to prod into the topic of conception. "How does a baby get into its mommy's belly?" she asked.

"With a lot of love," I reluctantly replied. I was ready to take it further, but secretly hoped she'd move on. She did.

"Did Daddy help you when I came out?" she wondered.

No need to go into the details of how Daddy got the flu three days after she was born and was of minimal assistance, so I answered her quite literally: "Yes, we each grabbed ahold of you and pulled you out."

How this little bit of information is enough for her inquisitive mind, I don't know. But I'm not complaining, just waiting for the day she takes it to that place.


-------------------------------------------------------------

Now an update on Bert & Ernie. The girls did watch Sesame Street while we were in Wenatchee. Only instead of hitting up Grandma Phillips for answers, Uncle Kevin was their go-to guy. And quite happy, I'm sure, to make a joke that made for a great story when he relayed it to the adults....

While on one of their great adventures, Bert & Ernie were playing baseball. Knowing exactly what he was getting into, Uncle Kevin asked if Bert & Ernie lived together. With an answer that was simple and straight (pardon the pun), he pushed further, asking which one was the pitcher and which one was the catcher; it was a curve ball that went right over their heads. The rest of us got a good laugh and a sense of relief that the lovelies had no idea what he was talking about. Looks like our chat about homosexuality may be able to wait after all.

No comments:

{Followers}

{About Me}

My photo
Fairborn, Ohio, United States
I'm a teacher by trade, writer at heart & mom in every sense of my being. I never considered writing as a profession, but after I got married and began moving around the country, I began sharing my adventures, misadventures & updates through a sort of e-mail newsletter. I found a true passion in unconventional story-telling that has followed me into motherhood.