Wednesday, June 15, 2011

10 Tips on How to be a Good Kid

My New Year's resolution this year was to clean out the clutter, and that included extensive attention to the mass collection at Mom & Dad's.  First up, my desk.  I was able to eliminate a lot the mess, and stumbled on some great keepsakes, too.

One of the little treasures was a Dear Abby article my mom clipped from the newspaper and saved for me dated Sunday, October 16, 1983; I was in kindergarten.  What better time than now to ask my lovelies, one exiting, one entering kindergarten, how to be a good kid:

Lauren says....
1. That you be nice to people.
2. If they're crying then you say, 'Please can you stop crying.'  That's being a nice friend.
3. Be very nice to bears. {Giggle}
4. Give a present to your teacher.
5. That you clean up your toys & hug your mom.

Abby says....
6. Do what your mom tells you to do & clean up.
7. Be a good citizen.
8. Treat others how you want to be treated.
9. Good kids help their moms.
10. Offer your mom something.

In case you're curious, I'm including the three lists from the article.  Great advice from the mouth of kids....

From a 16-year-old girl in Dallas:
1. Show appreciation.  Most parents give more than they can afford.
2. Take responsibly for your own actions.  If you want to be treated like an adult, act like one.
3. Remember, parents are human; they get tired, have their bad days and make mistakes, too, so forgive them like they forgive you.
4. Don't lie and sneak around, then expect your parents to trust you.
5. Do your homework and chores without having to be reminded.
6. If you have a change in plans or know you're going to be late, call and let your parents know.
7. Say "Please," "Thank you" and "Excuse me" at home, and you will do so automatically everywhere else.
8. Be willing to work for what you want.
9. Take pride in the way you look.
10. Let your parents know that you love and appreciate them.  Tomorrow may be too late.


From an 8-year-old boy in Florida:
1. Help with chores.
2. Say, "Yes, ma'am" and "Yes, sir."
3. Do what your parents say.
4. If you hurt someone, or hurt their feelings, say you are sorry.
5. Be nice to guests.
6. Don't say bad words.
7. Use good manners everywhere.
8. Be nice to your brother or sister if you have one.
9. Say your prayers every night.
10. Love everybody, especially your parents.


A Collection from Other Lists Submitted:
1. Don't swear, drink or smoke.
2. Don't ask your parents if they had lovers before they were married.  It's none of your business, and you probably won't get a straight answer anyways.
3. Don't complain when you're served spaghetti three times in a row.  It beats going to bed hungry.
4. Always be totally honest in what you say or do, even if it means getting busted.
5. When you're wrong, admit it, and take the consequences.
6. Pick up after yourself.  Your mother is not your maid.
7. If you parents' marriage breaks up, don't act like they've ruined your life.  They may have improved it.
8. Take good care of the body your parents (and God) gave you.
9. Do your best in school.  Your future depends on it.
10. Include your parents in your prayers.  You are always in theirs.


I couldn't have said it better myself!

No comments:

{Followers}

{Blog Archive}

{About Me}

My photo
Fairborn, Ohio, United States
I'm a teacher by trade, writer at heart & mom in every sense of my being. I never considered writing as a profession, but after I got married and began moving around the country, I began sharing my adventures, misadventures & updates through a sort of e-mail newsletter. I found a true passion in unconventional story-telling that has followed me into motherhood.