Wednesday, October 20, 2010

{Between the Pages}

Thanks to idle time at the gym while the girls are doing gymnastics, some built-in down time in the afternoon, and lack of quality TV viewing I've been racking up mileage between the pages of books.  And thanks to the book club I am now in, I'm reading books I may not have otherwise chosen.

These are the books I have read within the last year.



David Walsh, PhD is on the faculty at the University of Minnesota and is one of the world's leading authorities on children, teens, parenting, family life, and the impact of technology on children's health and development.

I learned about this book from my girlfriend, Stephanie, and was intrigued with the tactics, explanations and examples he uses in his down-to-earth approach to the benefits of raising children using "No".

I recommend this book to:
All parents!  Especially parents of young children, and even to people preparing for parenthood.



In her memoir, Governor Palin starts from the very beginning of her life in Idaho and takes the readers through her growth as a person, a politician, and goes in depth into her run as the vice presidential nominee in the 2008 election.

What struck me most about this book was just how simple and ordinary Sarah Palin was.  What makes her extraordinary is her work ethic and convictions, instilled in her by her upbringing.

I recommend this book to:
Anyone interested in Sarah Palin, and her ground-breaking rise to fame in American politics.



Diana Joseph teaches creative writing at Minnesota State University, Mankato.  I have grown to greatly appreciate creative writing styles, and fell in love with Diana Joseph's unique approach to her memoir.

Diana tells her story by telling the reader about the men in her life.  She is funny, witty, honest, and down-to-earth.  She's inspired me to think about my writing in fresh ways, and look at my life through the eyes of those I surround myself with.  I love a book that stirs up self-reflection!

I recommend this book to:
Anyone looking for a light read, a good laugh, and an honest and simple human story.  Thanks, Shawn for sending it my way!



Lance Armstrong's book takes readers from his humble childhood to a Tour de France champion.  What makes his story intriguing is the hurdles he overcame to get there and how testicular cancer shaped his life up to the point that his memoir concludes.

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of Lance Armstrong personally.  This book was the first book club selection, and I found myself creating an understanding of who is was, why he was the way he was, and what it was that made him a champion cyclist.  Sally Jenkins is an impressive writer, and as a result I enjoyed each turn of the page; even all of the talk about cycling.

I recommend this book to:
Anyone who is interested in Lance Armstrong, a great human story, or looking to find inspiration.  Great pick, Heidi.  I really enjoyed this book!



Book club selection No. two.

I didn't know how much I would appreciate reading this one.  After all, I'm not from Ohio, and my knowledge of Ohio is excessively limited.  But I dove in.  And again, really enjoyed it!

This book is the first in a series of Haunted Ohio books Chris Woodyard has written.  I speculate that since Chris is a native of the Dayton area, the stories she collected for this book center primarily on this area.... Perfect!

As much as this is a story of "hauntings" I found it to be more a book of spiritual connection.  I have quite limited experience with anything of the sort, but found it captivating nonetheless.
It turns out that Chris Woodyard is not just from the Dayton area, but she took her daughter to the very preschool I take mine to and currently work at.  Icing on the cake of irony!

I recommend this book to:
Anyone interested in Ohio, Ohio history, ghost stories, or a combination of the three.


Book club selection No. three.  My pick.
A seamless transition from Haunted Ohio, Bonnie McEneaney, wife of Eamon McEneaney who perished in the World Trade Center attacks on September 11, 2001 writes a collection of stories told by family members and friends that were left behind on that day.
For me, this was a new look at the story of 9/11. I'm very drawn to the events that surround that fateful day.  This is one that edges out the tragedy with the hope, faith and love that was left behind.
As someone who has not lost a close loved one, I have no idea what the pain is like.  I have no idea how I will deal with that pain when the time arrives.  I found this book to be a comforting depiction of handling the loss of loved ones.

I recommend this book to:
Anyone interested in September 11, 2001.  Anyone who is interested in communication with the deceased.

No comments:

{Followers}

{Blog Archive}

{About Me}

My photo
Fairborn, Ohio, United States
I'm a teacher by trade, writer at heart & mom in every sense of my being. I never considered writing as a profession, but after I got married and began moving around the country, I began sharing my adventures, misadventures & updates through a sort of e-mail newsletter. I found a true passion in unconventional story-telling that has followed me into motherhood.