Saturday, January 3, 2009

Bringing in '09 with a B#r!‏

Was three weeks of vomiting and diarrhea (a word I struggle to spell and hoped not to have to ever type again) this holiday season not enough to fill our quota well into the new millennium? At least into 2012? Apparently not.

We arrived in Minnesota on December 18th four healthy people and one scar-free dog. We made a successful surprise, as we showed up unbeknownst to Mom (and Dad) at Mom's 25th Anniversary at Jostens. So a few snow storms kept us from seeing Santa and shopping in the Cities. That had to be the worst that could happen. It wasn't. Whatever Lizzie did to aggravate Mom & Dad's dog, Raven, must have been severe because Raven left Lizzie with a chunk taken out of her head. Seriously, it was time to say goodbye to 2008! In addition, the four of us suffered almost the entire two weeks with sore throats, in my case I lost my voice, and chest and nasal congestion struck us all. But we're not done yet.

I was ready to give 2008 a kick in the ass on New Years Eve when I spilled three, yes three beverages at the hockey game that night. I'll save you the details of the rest of our time in Minnesota, but it was nice and fairly low-key. With threats of storms Thursday and Saturday, we decided Friday was our day to depart the Land of 10,000 Lakes and return to Ohio. The trip was fine until we arrived in Cedar Rapids and that's when it happened: Abby puked. All over! Family stomach viruses always tend to bring out the best, then the worst in Geoff and I. There is a sense of team work, then eventually a meltdown as Geoff could no longer listen to "Goodbye To You" play over and over again. But in the end, when both girls pass out, its a peaceful time to talk and spend "quality time" together. In this case our quality time was laced with the smells of barf and nasty dog farts coming from the back seat. Aside from mechanical failure or a head-on collision, it couldn't have been much worse. In fact, this was the worst ride of my life. This trip would certainly have made for great reality TV. Time after time we found ourselves in parking lots, me wiping Abby down, Geoff scrambling through the dirty clothes bag to find something suitable for her to suit up in. Yes, we had clean clothes, but of course those were sealed in a space bag at the very back of the trunk! And what one girl has the other must receive.... Lauren spent mile after mile insisting she, too, be suited up in dirty jammies. In the end the barfing was contained to the borders of Iowa and Illinois, and we made it home in 12 hours anyways (no stop for meals, just clean up & gas).

The girls and I found ourselves camped out on the family room floor last night and thus far have been without incident. Thus far. The girls are feasting on buttered noodles for the now, possibly the only food left in the house, and a great one for unsettled tummies. It is my first meal in over 24 hours. Lucky us.

So here's hoping you're off to a better start in 2009, and here's hoping ours gets & stays healty!

No comments:

{Followers}

{About Me}

My photo
Fairborn, Ohio, United States
I'm a teacher by trade, writer at heart & mom in every sense of my being. I never considered writing as a profession, but after I got married and began moving around the country, I began sharing my adventures, misadventures & updates through a sort of e-mail newsletter. I found a true passion in unconventional story-telling that has followed me into motherhood.