Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Little Surprises

Last night as Geoff and Lauren were assisting Abby in her evening bowel movement, Geoff was taken aback when Lauren flushed the fecal collection stating, "Goodbye poopie. You go to the sewer, okay?" This was no surprise to me, since my little ones, full of questions ask just where does that poop and potty go.... so I tell them: at our house it goes to the sewer because we are hooked up to the city sewer system, but at Grandma & Papa's it goes in the septic tank because they live out in the country. Of course they have no idea what the difference is between a sewer and a septic tank, but they are boosting their vocabulary and expanding their base. After all, isn't that why I'm staying home with them, to teach them these things?!

I was surprised, however, today in the doctor's office. No, not by the ear infections that both were diagnosed with, even though we just went in for a four-year well visit for Abby. Though I must admit that on top of the rotavirus, the colds, the vomiting in the car on the way back to Ohio, and now the respiratory flu, that they have yet another ailment I do ponder: when will it end? As we were waiting for the doctor, I was occupying the girls by asking them questions. When I had asked all of the questions I could think of that they knew the answers to I started to challenge them. Finally, I asked Abby how many fingers she had. She looked down at her hands, and one by one counted off each of her fingers until she came up with an answer, "Ten," she smiled. I have never seen her do that one before. Today I was proud!

Can't wait to see what they come up with tomorrow.

No comments:

{Followers}

{About Me}

My photo
Fairborn, Ohio, United States
I'm a teacher by trade, writer at heart & mom in every sense of my being. I never considered writing as a profession, but after I got married and began moving around the country, I began sharing my adventures, misadventures & updates through a sort of e-mail newsletter. I found a true passion in unconventional story-telling that has followed me into motherhood.