Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Clay Nation











This week the girls and I took on the project of making clay. It was a two-fold project: making the recipe, then painting our cooked creations.

I put half of the ingredients in each of the girls' bowls for them mix, then roll out with a rolling pin. Each chose her own cookie cutters, then we baked them, and let them dry over night, painting them the next day. The clay can be used to form desired shapes, but since my girls are not quite ready for a project on that level we opted to do cut-outs.

Here is the recipe for making clay....
1 cup salt
2 cups flour (more if rolling out)
1/2 cup water (add more when mixing if mix is too crumbled)
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
Mix together. Shape into desired shapes or ornaments, or roll and cut out with cookie cutters. Place on baking sheet and bake at 250 degrees for 2-4 hours until dry. Shapes can be painted and sealed with a clear shellac, spray plastic or clear nail polish after drying process.
We are planning on gluing magnets on the back of ours and giving them as gifts. The possibilities are endless!

2 comments:

Mindi said...

You are such a great mom. Where do you find all these fun projects? Thanks for sharing. I am always looking for fun things to do with Avry!

brookie said...

Thanks, Mindi. I remember doing this project with my grandma and my aunt when I was little. I loved it so much, and so did the girls. You'll have to let me know if you do it and how Avry likes it!

{Followers}

{About Me}

My photo
Fairborn, Ohio, United States
I'm a teacher by trade, writer at heart & mom in every sense of my being. I never considered writing as a profession, but after I got married and began moving around the country, I began sharing my adventures, misadventures & updates through a sort of e-mail newsletter. I found a true passion in unconventional story-telling that has followed me into motherhood.