Thursday, December 4, 2008

The "I'm Not Sick" Babies

The illness continues. They babies are so busy claiming they are not sick because they want their treats and good food back that I think for a moment they actually believe they are not sick. And for 12, maybe 24 hours they might not seem sick. But then it rears it's ugly head, and last night we found ourselves (okay, I found myself) catching the girls' vomit, again.

Here's what I know. I took Abby to Urgent Care last Friday and was told its a stomach virus. Got a prescription, it finally gave her diarrhea and we thought the end was in sight. Tuesday we took them to our doctor and she ordered blood tests (that was a real scream) and stool samples to be collected. At first Abby wasn't thrilled about me holding a basin under her bottom to catch her droppings, but by the second and third time she was yelling for me to come in and "catch her poop". Lauren's was an easier grab, though not at first because I had to make a run for a plastic spoon. But I was able to fill all three viles with the liquid from one diaper, so it was off to the lab to turn in the samples. I really hope you already ate your breakfast; if not, this e-mail could easily serve as a diet plan! It has come and gone for both Geoff and I, but is just hanging on and on in the girls.

Now I'm just waiting on the doctor to call me back and we're discussing a GI consult. The girls are eating dry Rice Krispis, as I was told Rice Krispi Bars are great to get the stomach back in balance. As you can imagine, they want to eat the RKs and they get them all over and complain about it. It doesn't help that the baby daddy left this morning without allowing time to monitor the girls so I could take a shower, so here I sit feeling all nasty--and you know I slept on the floor last night; same story, as every night.

I curse each and every person who has ever had someone around to swoop in and help. I'm tired, annoyed, gross, and trying desperately to hold it together, but what I really, truly want is for these little darlings to be rushed away to a hospital where someone can put a healthy end to all of this. It's one thing that our Thanksgiving was a bust; at this point it will be amazing if we make it home for Christmas.

Nurses, feel free to fill me with any suggestions you may have. Believe it or not, I'm sure I have not learned all there is to know about tending to the ill.

No comments:

{Followers}

{About Me}

My photo
Fairborn, Ohio, United States
I'm a teacher by trade, writer at heart & mom in every sense of my being. I never considered writing as a profession, but after I got married and began moving around the country, I began sharing my adventures, misadventures & updates through a sort of e-mail newsletter. I found a true passion in unconventional story-telling that has followed me into motherhood.