Sunday, February 21, 2010

Helping the Needy

For one reason or another, we have yet to attend church here in Ohio.... that is, until today. At first it was because I was very content to be cooped up in this box of a house. Then it was because we spent a lot of time going home. After that the reason focused on the girls', mainly Lauren's, lack of focus. In the back of my mind was a sadness that no matter what church we found, it wouldn't provide that same sense of warmth and community as our beloved congregation in Florida (yes, for the record, it was one of the few things in Florida I enjoyed and appreciated). But it has been weighing heavy on me for quite some time now, and not only did I feel the need for spiritual guidance, but it was imperative that we give it to the girls as well. We talk about God at our house quite often, and Abby has come up with some amazingly insightful questions. This morning she questioned, "Will God be one of the people at church?" and "What color are His eyes?" Trying to chose the road that leads to the least amount of follow-up questions, I side-tracked the conversation to Jesus, and told her His eyes were brown.

The church we visited today was great. The people were warm, welcoming, and friendly; it was the kind of reception we received at our church in Florida. Perfect! After the readings one of the pastors and a few other adults take the children out for a children's sermon, where they follow-up with a snack and an activity related to the day's message. Being Lent, all the children received boxes for donations. A gift! Abby was elated. After the children returned for communion the rest of the service was restless for my munchkins, but they handled it well. Only one embarrassing outburst from Abby as she questioned quite loudly why an elderly gentleman did not have to stand up, but she did. She was not happy about this, and I could tell a handful of the ladies behind us got a kick out of her inquiry by their snickers.

By the time we got home the girls were nothing short of falling apart. As Abby admired her box she announced, "I want to keep this for the rest of my life."

Trying to scramble lunch together for my lovelies, I replied, "I'm sure you do, Abby, but the purpose of the box is to collect money to give to those in need."

Crabby, tired, and hungry Abby demanded, "Well I need things!"

Don't we all, Abby. So she wasn't quite getting the point of the exercise. In time, maybe. But for now I have no doubt her little mind is working up a whole new set of questions that far outreach the confines of that little box.

No comments:

{Followers}

{About Me}

My photo
Fairborn, Ohio, United States
I'm a teacher by trade, writer at heart & mom in every sense of my being. I never considered writing as a profession, but after I got married and began moving around the country, I began sharing my adventures, misadventures & updates through a sort of e-mail newsletter. I found a true passion in unconventional story-telling that has followed me into motherhood.