Sunday, March 15, 2009

Making It On Her Own











When Kelly Clarkson laid down the vocals for her hit Miss Independent, she may as well have been singing about my beloved Abigail. I'm sorry, Abby; she prefers to be called Abby. I realize that the job of a parent is to teach your children how to make it in the world on their own, ultimately teaching them not to depend on you. What I did not realize was how soon my little Abby would not need me.

Little by little, Abby has taken the reigns on many areas of her life: bathing, dressing, tooth brushing, using the toilet.... and now she has decided she is capable of making her own bed. I've never really set a timeline for when the girls can start doing things themselves, we just kind of work our way into things. With most things, the girls tell me when they are ready to do it on their own. The same goes with bed making. This morning Abby took it upon herself to get her affairs in order on her own. No help. No thank you, Mommy.

I had no idea how it would turn out, but I am happy to say she took her time and exercised patience. And my Miss Independent did a great job of, for the very first time, making her own bed.

No comments:

{Followers}

{About Me}

My photo
Fairborn, Ohio, United States
I'm a teacher by trade, writer at heart & mom in every sense of my being. I never considered writing as a profession, but after I got married and began moving around the country, I began sharing my adventures, misadventures & updates through a sort of e-mail newsletter. I found a true passion in unconventional story-telling that has followed me into motherhood.