Thursday, March 19, 2009

Cute as a Button Flower Pots

The girls and I like to make goodies for the neighbors, and came up with a fun one for spring! This is actually two projects in one and can be adapted to fit a variety of skill levels. It makes for a cheery display and a tasty treat!


Finger Print Flowers

You will need:
Construction paper
Acrylic paint--2 colors
Glue
Flower pattern (I traced a cookie cutter onto cardboard)
Green chenille stems
Scissors
Scotch tape

How to make it:
1. Trace & cut the simple flower shapes from construction paper.
2. Dip child's finger into acrylic paint & dap off excess. Then press onto each petal. Use a contrasting color to make a print in the center of the flower.
3. Tape green chenille stem to the back of the flower; spiral stems if desired.
4. Display in candy-filled Cute as a Button Flower Pot.


Cute as a Button Flower Pot

You will need:
Flower pots
Assorted Buttons

Glue

How to make it:
Glue buttons one at a time around rim of pot. Allow to dry for several hours.


Finishing Touches

You will need:
Large clear treat bags
Paper shred
Ribbon
Candy to fill pot (we chose Robin's Eggs & Peanut M&Ms)
Tag (optional)
We also added a stemmed egg to garnish (Michael's craft store--Easter section)

How to make it:
1. Place a small amount of paper shred in the bottom of the treat bag.
2. Nest the flower pot, filled with candy, comfortably in the paper shred.
3. Stick flowers (& garnishing egg) into candy.
4. Loop hole-punched tag through ribbon & tie bag around flower stems so the flowers themselves are sticking out the top of the bag.
5. Trim ribbon on each end and voula!

Happy Spring!


1 comment:

Mindi said...

Brooke,
What a great idea. I am going to use it for May Day and as part of our Mother's Day gifts. You are so talented!! Are you going to post a cool craft idea for Father's Day?? Take care

{Followers}

{About Me}

My photo
Fairborn, Ohio, United States
I'm a teacher by trade, writer at heart & mom in every sense of my being. I never considered writing as a profession, but after I got married and began moving around the country, I began sharing my adventures, misadventures & updates through a sort of e-mail newsletter. I found a true passion in unconventional story-telling that has followed me into motherhood.