Thursday, February 19, 2009

Bruised Ego


I love my children very much and would never do anything to hurt them. It is with that declaration that I feel I can share this story:

Last night the girls were running around the house trying to get my girlfriend, Michelle, to chase them. Giggles and screams filled the house as they tried to outsmart her tricks. At one point, Abby & Lauren's paths collided, and so did their heads. Determined to not to sour the moment, both girls got up without a flinch and continued in the chase. Abby got away without a mark, but Lauren was not so fortunate. Our wounded warrior took the brunt of the blunt right in the forehead, and literally within seconds it turned bright purple. She could have cared less.

I did not take it so easy. I wavered back and forth.... should we go to story time this morning? No, not with that shiner. But the girls will enjoy it. I changed my mind several times before ultimately deciding to go. So off we were, to a new story time AT THE MALL! The girls had a blast. They met new children, had a snack, played with a dog, read a book, did a project & chased bubbles; it was every kids' dream play date. That is until Abby went into a rage when it was time to leave. Rage may be an understatement. I'm not sure the exact trigger, but I believe she was angry because someone else picked up her snack wrapper and tossed it. Abby was relentless, even declaring me to be a pain in the butt. I was entirely frustrated, but what could I do? While I battled with one child, the other one stood innocently displaying her purple forehead. No doubt the mark of a brutal mother to onlookers.

My struggle continued as we left the store and echoed throughout the shopping arena. Before I knew it I was carrying the defiant one in a football hold while she screamed, "I have to pee." "Of course you do," I responded. We were now on Threatcon-Delta: If I don't get this child to a toilet she will pee all over herself. I really have no idea how I got her into a stall without leaking, but we made it. A few deep breaths and we were exiting the bathroom doing the walk of shame past everyone who witnessed the struggle. I have faith that those who saw the events as they unfolded understood the volatility of my preschooler. But most importantly, I'm happy I was not apprehended by mall security and taken away in cuffs. On second thought....

Here's hoping the attitude and the bruise are better before we try that one again.

No comments:

{Followers}

{About Me}

My photo
Fairborn, Ohio, United States
I'm a teacher by trade, writer at heart & mom in every sense of my being. I never considered writing as a profession, but after I got married and began moving around the country, I began sharing my adventures, misadventures & updates through a sort of e-mail newsletter. I found a true passion in unconventional story-telling that has followed me into motherhood.