Thursday, March 11, 2010

Don't Tell Daddy

Yesterday afternoon Lauren and I needed to make a quick stop at the grocery store. We decided to get some ice cream for an afternoon treat. After we picked Abby up from preschool we headed home and dished us each up a scoop. As we sat around the little table, Lauren looked up to me and said, "Don't tell Daddy we got ice cream, he will eat it all."

Geoff got home from work that evening just as we were sitting down for supper. He wasn't home for more than five minutes before Lauren blurted out, "Daddy, guess what we did today? We got ice cream!" So much for keeping that one a secret, Lauren.

Fast forward to this morning. A week or so ago Grandma Phillips sent us a package that included jelly beans, Geoff's favorite! But since we already had our candy jar filled, I insisted they stay at the back of the cupboard, out of sight and unopened. This morning the jar was getting low, so I decided to toss them in. Lauren looked on while eating her breakfast.

It wasn't long before Geoff was ready for work and downstairs on his way out the door. And, true to fashion, Lauren's first words were, "Mommy, I have to tell Daddy something."

Like a fool I replied, "Go ahead, Lauren," and gave no warning not to clue him in on the output of his favorite sugary treat.

"Mommy put out the jelly beans," Lauren proclaimed with pride.

Geoff left the house this morning with a smile on his face, "I guess if I want to know anything I just have to ask Lauren."

I will consider this my warning.

No comments:

{Followers}

{About Me}

My photo
Fairborn, Ohio, United States
I'm a teacher by trade, writer at heart & mom in every sense of my being. I never considered writing as a profession, but after I got married and began moving around the country, I began sharing my adventures, misadventures & updates through a sort of e-mail newsletter. I found a true passion in unconventional story-telling that has followed me into motherhood.