Monday, January 25, 2010

The Naked Truth

For reasons that will soon become obvious, there is no picture to accompany this story.

I don't know many people around here, and I'm okay with that right now. When the girls first started taking gymnastics, I had a mom friend in each of their classes. I enjoyed them both, but with a new group of parents, and the girls both taking night classes, I was tired at the end of the day and took comfort in relaxing with a good piece of literature.

That is what I was doing on this night. With my nose in Sarah Palin's memoir, I was keeping an eye on Abby as she played, and a periodic eye on Lauren's latest stunt. I saw Lauren dart away from the group. I assumed she was going for a drink. Maybe to wash her hands, but certainly not to relieve herself; she had just done that fifteen minutes ago. Giving her her independence, I didn't go into the bathroom to check on her. Looking back, I'd wish I had.

As I was embarking on the governor's adventures in early motherhood, I was about to have one of my own: standing before me was my own daughter, going rogue.... completely naked in front of a sea of parents, siblings, and gymnasts. "I need help. My panties are twisted, my leotard is inside-out. I tried to go potty, but it didn't come out." It is hard not to laugh at a moment like this, but embarrassment won out and I grabbed her arm and whisked her off to the ladies room. There we untangled the situation, and I did the best I could to return to my seat with my pride.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't like people haven't seen her naked before. She's three. And I have to admit she's one of the cutest naked little things I've ever seen. I'd just rather she be going rogue in the privacy of our house, where there are no snickers from the peanut gallery.

No comments:

{Followers}

{About Me}

My photo
Fairborn, Ohio, United States
I'm a teacher by trade, writer at heart & mom in every sense of my being. I never considered writing as a profession, but after I got married and began moving around the country, I began sharing my adventures, misadventures & updates through a sort of e-mail newsletter. I found a true passion in unconventional story-telling that has followed me into motherhood.